Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Follow"

I hope no one ever uses the word follow to describe me when I am gone.  I believe there are leaders and there are followers.  I even believe there are people in the middle deciding their own path in life.

It takes great courage to follow one's heart and one's own truth.  Especially when it doesn't take the path of the social norm.  I find most of my life I have neglected to follow the social norm.  Instead choosing to follow my heart or what I see as the truth.

This has not made me a popular person at times.  People seem to feel the need for you to agree with them.  I have found in life it is best to allow others to be exactly who they are.  Sometimes it is best to agree to disagree.  Most of all I believe with all my heart that is is always best to be true to yourself.

"If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured, or far away." - Henry David Thoreau

“For nonconformity the world will whip you with its displeasure.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson


This blog was inspired by a young college student who's blog I read tonight.  I wanted to badly to tell her how proud I was of her by her actions but decided I would be just another adult patting her on the head.  I really am proud of her thought.  She was more an adult today than most adults.  However I am sure she is so secure within herself that there is no need for anyone to have to tell them they are proud of them outside her parents.  Which I know for certain are very proud of her.  Keep being the example.  You are not our future leader.  You are already the worlds leader.

2 comments:

  1. If it is the same one I am thinking of, She is something isn't she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MDR - You have every right to be proud.

    ReplyDelete