Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Season Is In Full Swing

This is the time of the year when those of us who are blogging homesteaders start to drop off on our posting and get behind on our reading.  The good news is the stuff on our "to do" list are getting done.

We have been busy hear helping raise the neighbor's kid (goat), milking goats, making cheese, and yogurt.  We have been working in the garden.  That is a post all of it's own and we are excited. 

All those branches I cut this past summer to feed the goats and sheep are now becoming mulch for the garden.

I am still working on fencing.  Have I mention that I really don't like fencing?  Well, I don't really care for having to build a fence.  I like them when they are already there and in a good place.  As for building from scratch.  Well, let's just say there are other things on my list I would rather do.

Day before yesterday our neighbor let us clean up his quail pens and keep the poop.  It was a nasty, dusty job but now we have quail poop.  We have some already in the compost and can't wait for it to turn out.

Speaking of compost.  Our compost this year was great.  We didn't have much but what we did have made us do a little happy dance.  I hope it does the same for our plants.

The grass is as high as my waist so I have been cutting it with my scythe and drying it for hay.  It is hard work but it makes pretty hay.  It is also nice to be out in the sunshine and the breeze listening to the birds as you cut grass.  You can't do that from a tractor or a lawnmower.  Last year it was a struggle for us unemployed people to have enough food for our livestock.  This year I am getting a head start.  As the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared".

I am sure there is much more going on then again only those of you who closest to us will even care about this update.  I'll post more later on the details of what we are up to.  Until then enjoy this beautiful weather.  Spring is in the air.  Take a walk.  Enjoy a picnic.  What ever you do get outside!

2 comments:

  1. My motto is "Get out and get dirty"
    There are only a couple of things I hate in life, one being hanging drywall and the other is being behind.
    As I have now reached the other side of the hill, I can see myself getting further and further behind on everything. I don't know if I have slowed down or if it's the things are coming at me more quickly. Either way, I am behind.
    We do what we can do and put the rest on a list.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, one of the things I have to remember is... What is really important. Because I can get easily caught up in having to get things done and neglect to spend that quality time with my loved one. Keeping that in mind helps me not care about how long the list is. It is a good reality check for sure.

      I am approaching my list a bit different lately. I work on one thing in the AM and another in the PM. That way I feel like I am making progress on two things instead of one. It is just a matter of perspective and this one works well for me. - G

      Delete