Saturday, January 7, 2012

Root - Fruit - Nut

The title amuses me because I am easily amused.


As I said in my last blog the move "Food Matters" has changed the way we approach the food we eat.  We already buy organic if we can and we do our best to stay away from genetically modified food.  I don't feel there is any need to prefect what God has created.


In the movie it states that for our health 51% of what we eat should be raw.  This is for the enzymes, nutrients, and the fiber.  They say that even light steaming kills of things that are beneficial to us.


Rather than change our diet drastically which we have found never works we have decided to add to our diet.  We have started to add a greater quantity of raw vegetables and fruit.  Our first dish was a broccoli salad from shredded broccoli with a light buttermilk/mayonnaise dressing.  Very light just for flavoring.  We found it to be very filling for a long period of time.


Last night I made a dish of shredded carrots, apples, chopped walnuts, and ginger root with just a splash of lemon to keep the apples from turning browner than they were already turning.  The lemon did help bring out the flavors however.  Once again we were satisfied with the full feelings for a lengthy period not to mention it was down right tasty.



Today I am thinking I might want to play with jicama in my next dish.  Don't pick the large fruits rather like most other things modest to small is better.


Now if I can only convince myself to eat slower and enjoy the meal longer.  I tend to over eat because I love the taste of the food and I eat to fast.  I must learn to eat and savor the food.  I would enjoy it the same amount of time without over eating.

2 comments:

  1. I'm certainly agree with you about staying away from GMO, though it is hard to do because so many of the ingredients we can't pronounce in processed foods are actually derived from corn.

    I like the looks of your carrot dish. I like to just saute carrot slivers and onion in olive oil. I think if you put the apples in just a couple of minutes before you serve it you wouldn't have to worry about the browning and they'd be a little crunchier.

    Another documentary you might be interested in is Food Inc. It is really eye-opening for most people on factory-farmed food and I know from growing up in a family with chicken houses that it is pretty factual.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tony - That is in my que to watch. I am excited about the Netflix streaming as I am able to catch up on all these programs I was wanting to watch. I have already watched "The Future of Food" which was also good.

    On this dish there wasn't any cooking at all. We are trying to add raw to our diet as the enzymes and nutrients haven't been killed by cooking of any type.

    You are also right about the large quantity of corn in the American diet. Corn is EVERYWHERE and called by many names.

    Back in 2001 we did the false fat diet where you eliminate; corn, wheat, dairy, eggs, and soy. It is very difficult to find anything without corn in it and yet there are people who are highly allergic to it. Then what do they give you when you are having an allergy attack. Dex shot, once again corn by another name.

    Now whether the people are actually allergic to corn or the GMO corn I am sure there are not any studies at this time because since people with high positions within the GMO seed creating company are also members of our government.

    Small rant over. Sorry, I am a bit passionate regarding the subject.

    Thank you for the recipe. I look forward to trying it out. We are looking for new ways to incorporate more veggies. I know my body is probably very grateful.

    ReplyDelete